I am a proper native Floridian who loves seafood! However, even with fish we have to be careful of which types and how much we consume based on levels of mercury, which is a cancer causing element. Salmon and Cod are 2 types of fish that are at the top of the list in terms of lower mercury levels. Plus, I think Cod tastes great with coconut and lime which is why I chose it for this recipe! Cod is also a great source of vitamin B 12 (energy), protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 has been scientifically shown to alleviate stiffness and joint pain, settle symptoms of ADHD, and even help prevent the development of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Omega-3s can even be used to help fight anxiety and depression. In terms of prenatal health, consuming Omega-3 fatty acids reduces the risk of your child developing ADHD, autism and cerebral palsy, so it is great for your baby’s brain development! Of course, always consult with your OB/GYN before consuming any type of fish.
3 cod fillets
1 egg. beaten
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Marshall’s Pantry Blackened Seafood Rub, or blackened seasoning of your choice
1 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- If you do not already have toasted coconut flakes prepared, then toast coconut flakes on a baking sheet using the HIGH broil setting on your oven. Be sure to center the oven rack (meaning the rack should be in the middle and not on the very top) and set timer for 15 seconds, keeping a close eye on the coconut (flakes will burn easily, so be careful. You may not even need the full 15 seconds). As soon as the flakes begin to brown, remove from oven, stir the flakes around and put back in for another 15 seconds.
- Turn oven off and set flakes aside on a plate; they should be a golden/caramel color.
- Now, preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine egg, lime juice and seasoning.
- Coat fillets with mixture and then coat with toasted coconut.
- Place in glass baking dish, sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon extra of blackened seasoning on each fillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool for 3-5 minutes and serve.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice or if you prefer, rice.
If you desire, sprinkle with grated parmesan before serving.