Inspired by one of my favorite shows of all time (Weeds) and perhaps one of the most attractive men in Hollywood (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), these “Pizza Eggs” were mentioned in the first season of the show by JDM’s character, Judah, in one of the flashback video camera scenes. I have no idea where the idea on the show came from or what their version of “pizza eggs” actually entailed. This recipe, however, is my own fun interpretation of it and they are absolutely amazing! I use turkey pepperoni and mozzarella cheese with organic vegetarian eggs, but you can make all the variations you want to suit your tastes. I do not use any extra seasonings because the flavor of the pepperoni and the shredded cheese makes it just perfect without risking any over-saltiness. You get a little dose of protein and calcium with each bit. Simple and fun, these are sure to please your kiddos too! We hope you enjoy them as much as our family has!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
- Grease a small 8″ frying pan and set aside. Crack 4 eggs in to a bowl and beat to extreme frothiness.
- Pour beaten eggs in to frying pan and cook on stove top on low-medium heat (between setting 3 and 4 on the dial).
- Cover with lid and let cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid and sprinkle pepperonis over eggs.
- Re-cover with lid and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add mozzarella, reduce heat to setting 2 and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Carefully slide (what is essentially an open-faced omelet) on to a plate and cut in to eight “pizza” slices.
Serve and enjoy!