My little one LOVES french fries. I’ve tried keeping him away from fast food entirely but of course the day my husband slipped our tot a french fry life was over as we knew it! He loves all forms of potatoes. So I developed this healthier alternative to your classic french fry. I hope your little ones love it as much as my son does! Feel free to get creative and add minced veggies or meat crumbles, or even make them with sweet potatoes instead! You can also substitute any flour or oil you prefer, however I think they taste best using an all-purpose flour and with either avocado oil or vegetable oil. You can also makes these as a fun platter for parties. They pair wonderfully with Tzatziki sauce!
2 Organic red potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
2 tablespoons all-purpose, gluten free flour
1/4 cup avocado oil, for frying
- Pour avocado oil in shallow pan and place on burner over medium heat (between 5-6 dial setting). Allow to heat while you prepare pancakes.
- Using a cheese grater, grate potatoes.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Take 2 tablespoon portions and roll tightly in to a ball, squeezing out any excess juices over the sink, then flatten in to a circular pancake shape.
- Reduce pan heat dial to 4.
- Place potato pancakes in to pan and allow to fry for about 1 min 30 seconds on each side or until they reach a rich golden brown color.
- Remove and place on paper towel to cool.
Makes approximately 10-11 pancakes.