Sometimes, the simplest of treats are the most delicious! I have made these in our kitchen for years and they are one of my favorite snacks. Typically, fried food recipes use either peanut or canola oil. This recipe uses avocado oil, which not only enhances the flavor but also adds rich nutritional benefits, such as reducing cholesterol, improving overall heart health, enhances the absorption of important nutrients from other areas of your diet, and helps prevent gum disease! I usually make these along with my own fresh guacamole. The time allotted for cooking, allows the chips to retain some of its chewy-ness in the middle, which is my favorite way to each them. This recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
4 white or yellow corn tortillas
1 cup avocado oil
Black peppercorn grinder
Sea salt grinder
- Using a small frying pan, pour the avocado oil in to the pan and place heat dial setting to 5 for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat dial setting to 4 and cut the tortillas in half twice, creating four triangles with each tortilla. Total amount should equal 16 triangles chips.
- Get the timer ready for 1 minute. Place 4 tortilla triangles at a time in the oil and allow to fry for 45 seconds. When there is 15 seconds left on the timer, quickly flip the tortillas over and reset the timer for 30 seconds.
- After the additional 30 seconds, remove chips from the oil and set aside on a paper towel (to soak up excess oil).
- Repeat this process until all chips are fried. Then using the salt and pepper grinders, season chips to taste.
Serve with your favorite guacamole or salsa!