A guilty pleasure my husband and I both share from our childhood is Kraft Shake N’ Bake dinners. I am not here to bash Kraft. In fact, their Shake N’ Bake mixes are not necessarily unhealthy. Most of the seasoning blends they offer average only 30 calories per serving and are zero in fat, cholesterol, and sugar. However, since I have devoted myself to eating cleaner and bringing my family on that venture with me, I decided to create a version that was as close to Paleo as I could get. This recipe is safe for all of my wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, clean eating and low carb friends out there! I hope you enjoy it and are as presently surprised as I was about the flavor. I usually serve it the way traditional buffalo wings are served, with celery or carrot sticks. I use hummus or guacamole for dipping instead of ranch or blue cheese.
Traditional Paleo does not approve of rice, which is in the ingredients of the dehydrated snap peas that I use. Hence the title, “alomost Paleo.”
Dry Buffalo Seasoning Mix:
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 all-natural chicken breasts
1 (3.3 oz) bag of Harvest Snaps, lightly salted snap pea crisps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray of your choice (or however you normally grease your baking sheet). Set aside.
- For the seasoning mix, blend all spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- Empty the snap pea crisps in to a gallon size zip bag, close bag and then crush into a consistency resembling breadcrumbs.
- Add 4 tablespoons of your seasoning mix to the bag of crushed snap peas, mix thoroughly. You now have your buffalo shaking mix.
- Take each chicken breast and fillet them in to four pieces. Then cut each fillet in to 4 strips. This should give you 16 chicken strips of varying sizes.
- Place chicken strips in to the bag of buffalo shaking mix. Seal bag with some air still inside and shake until all chicken tenders are thoroughly coated.
- Place coated chicken tenders on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!