I am super excited and proud of this recipe. These are gluten-free and vegan but you wouldn’t even know it because they taste like pound cake hot and fresh out of the oven! These are so delicious and satisfying and sure to please the entire family. Plus, they smell FABULOUS and will fill your home with a delicious, sweet aroma. They are very filling and a great way to start your day with a cup of coffee or hot tea. Blueberries are a great source of Vitamin C which strengthens your resistance to infections and aids in the absorption of iron, an important mineral for hemoglobin formation. This is especially helpful if you are like me and have an iron deficiency. I often combine Vitamin C and iron rich foods together to help my body absorb and utilize iron to its full potential.
- 2 tablespoons milled flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup raw coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons raw honey, I like to use lavender honey
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups Pillsbury gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups blueberries, washed, drained and picked over to remove stems
- First, mix the flaxseed and water and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Then add applesauce and mix with the flaxseed mixture thoroughly.
- Second, add the ¼ cup coconut sugar, vanilla, honey and almond milk and mix thouroughly.
- Third, whisk in salt, baking powder and baking soda. Then whisk in flour a half cup at a time.
- Lastly, add the blueberries and gently and evenly stir in to the batter.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons in to a muffin tin, making sure they all have even amounts for the most part.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes. If you have a convection oven, it may only take 20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!